Join LCOY HK and grasps the chance to fight climate change.
COVID-19 has caused miseries, pains, fear and suffering to millions of people around the world especially those in poverty. Policy makers are giving priorities to infection control, and economic support. However, climate emergency is intensifying and is in danger of being ignored or at the least given a lower priority. COP26 has to be postponed to 2021. This adds to the risk of inertia. Climate disasters around the world reminds us that climate action should not be slowed down. As we go into 2021, we need increased ambition, collaborations, investments and solutions to the climate issues that we face. At this critical time, we need to fight ignorance and inertia and we need to get the voice of the youths heard.
Along the UNFCCC message on “Race to Zero” and “Green Recovery”, CarbonCare InnoLab (CCIL), together with Hong Kong Youth for Climate Action (HKYCA), co-organise the first ever Local Conference of Youths in Hong Kong (LCOY HK). This is the platform for the young people to get involved in climate change, to connect and empower each other to be global, national and local climate leaders, creative problem solvers, advocates and networkers through knowledge-sharing and networking. With all of us embracing a zero carbon Hong Kong, we will make a difference!
LCOY HK Event Details
Theme: Green recovery after COVID-19
Date: 31 October 2020 (Saturday)
Time: 9am – 5:00pm HKT
Language: primarily Cantonese, supplement with English in selected sessions
Young people from age 15 to 35.
Hong Kong young professionals attended previous COYs and COPs with experienced in position paper writing will share their skills with participants in the afternoon sessions. Participants will be grouped to prepare their position paper covering the climate issues they concerned the most. The position papers will be documented and submitted to UN YOUNGO as part of the global youth climate positioning at COY 16 and COP 26 next year.
You can register here: Application Form
Make Youths' Voice Heard (Pre-event activity, optional)
Be our climate KOL!
Prior to the event, we invite youths to record a 1-min video to share their insights on climate emergency and green recovery after COVID-19 by 23rd October 2020.
How to participate?
- You can select one of the video themes (listed below) and record a 1-min video.
- Post it on your social media platform (IG or FB) and tag three of your friends to join this challenge.
- Submit the video clip to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your video will also be displayed at LCOY HK event day.
You can choose one of the below themes for your 1-min video
- What inspires you to be aware of climate change?
- What have you done to conserve the environment and climate and disaster resilience?
- What is the most urgent climatic problem that need to be addressed in Hong Kong?
- Suggestions towards the society to help lower down the carbon emission
- Suggestions/ideas the young generation to do in order to combat climate change/any environmental problems.
For details, please contact email@example.com.
Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by email at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org with your sparkling ideas or probing questions.